Monday, December 12, 2005

Ted Strickland's Ohio Energy Plan

Ohio Democratic gubernatorial candidate Ted Strickland is making alternative-energy-as-engine-of-job-creation into a centerpiece of his campaign. His plan makes it easier for companies in this industry to raise money to fund their operations. Link

Critics may wonder whether it is the government's business to incentivize investment in a particular industry like Strickland is proposing, and my responses are twofold: 1) Yes, if you as a government leader want to realize a more desirable social arrangement, as we have seen with Bush's "Ownership Society" and how low interest rates and mortage tax deductions during his administration have fueled housing-based economic growth, and 2) Yes, if that industry's success would positively affect our national security.

I don't know if Strickland's plan will work, because there are serious questions about the economic viability of Ethanol as an alternative fuel. But I agree with the principle- alternative energy is something to run on. It has huge potential both to create jobs while draining funding for the terrorists killing our soldiers in Iraq and civilians everywhere.

In contrast to Strickland's idealism, listen to this from Senator Charles Grassley (courtesy of
Tree Hugger):


"You know what? What makes our economy grow is energy. And Americans are used to going to the gas tank (sic), and when they put that hose in their, uh, tank, and when I do it, I wanna get gas out of it. And when I turn the light switch on, I want the lights to go on, and I don't want somebody to tell me I gotta change my way of living to satisfy them. Because this is America, and this is something we've worked our way into, and the American people are entitled to it, and if we're going improve (sic) our standard of living, you have to consume more energy."

Now, that's a man of vision and foresight, a guy who really knows how to connect the dots.
Grassley doesn't belong in the Senate; I think he would feel much more at home at GM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home